China Cabinet Makeover



New things are great.. but making old things new again? Even better!

Recycling old furniture is not only a way to save it from becoming a landmark at the dump, it is a fantastic way to save $$ on your home reno projects while giving you an opportunity to add your own personality and style. And all with the added benefit of restoring beauty to something old and dated.

Three things sold this piece for me:
  1. The size. It's maximum depth is only 17".  It is efficient in housing my china and Japanese tea set, but it's not bulky, so it doesn't eat up the square footage in our farm kitchen.
  2. The buffet surface. The surface on top of the buffet piece is great for serving dishes when entertaining larger crowds.  I don't have much counter space, so that extra surface is appreciated.
  3. The glass. I love the etched glass in the doors. It was just enough to added character that sold me and helped to showcase my pretty tea set from my great-grandmother.

This is my kitchen china cabinet before:
 
I picked it up on Kijiji in 2012, as is in the pictures above, then sanded it, primed and painted it, and added new hardware.
 
I finished it quite a while ago, but never shared it on the blog. Here it is today!


Colour: Benjamin Moore Gray Wisp at 1/2 strength
 

Comments

Popular Posts